• Please stop embedding files/images from Discord. Discord has anti-hotlinking logic in place that breaks links to Discord hosted files and images when linked to from anywhere outside of Discord. There are a multitude of file/image hosting sites you can use instead.

    (more info here)

RAVE STORY HD

Sep 22, 2026 at 2:10 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Join Date: Jan 10, 2014
Location: yes
Posts: 489
Age: 23
Pronouns: he/him
With Rave Story's 12th anniversary right around the corner,
I present to the forums...
Rave Story HD!!! (Doukutsu Club mirror)
screen1.PNGscreen2.PNG
screen3.PNG
(and after 8 years in development... hopefully it was worth the wait :P)
Credits to the original development team for creating this iconic mod.
Enjoy!
if you want a lovely flashy forum post go check out the original thread here!
 
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2026 at 2:41 PM
Junior Member
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Join Date: Oct 7, 2022
Location: southern hemisphere
Posts: 30
Pronouns: he/him
Sep 22, 2026 at 10:02 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Join Date: May 31, 2018
Location: under your bed ;)
Posts: 292
Pronouns: they/he
holy shit congrats on getting this done, excited to play it after class :balrog::balrog::balrog:
 
Sep 22, 2026 at 11:58 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1374
Age: 30
The music is damn good guys, if anything download the mod for it.
 
Sep 24, 2026 at 9:58 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1374
Age: 30
Thanks for putting this together and finishing it after all these years. Playing through this version of the game reminded me how much I love the original mod for its goofiness and creativity (but also how much I hate it for how HARD IT IS. WHOEVER PLAYTESTED THE ORIGINAL REALLY FUCKED UPoh wait). So, thanks for all your hard work here. I enjoyed myself and I'll be spreading the word that a new Rave Story has been released.

I have some notes/points of feedback. The difficult thing is that I don't know how many of these apply to exclusively this HD version, or if they also apply to the original. I didn't replay the original so I'm just working off my memory:
There are many single-screen rooms that you can scroll that I don't think you should be able to scroll. Start Point and Hermit Gunsmith are the first ones I noticed, but I think there were a few rooms afterwards that should have the camera just locked in place.

Overall, the new facepics are really cool. The cartoonish thick black outlines fit the tone really well, especially considering the original didn't do that. King and Kazuma in particular I thought were the best. One or two of them looked a little weird to me. I think Curly looked a bit off -- maybe it's the mouth?

Loved the new arrangements of the original music. I'm curious how you decided which ones to recreate. The consistent theme seemed to be the original Polar compositions, but even then the title music wasn't changed, so I was surprised when I started hearing the changes partway through the game.

In Misery's dialogue, she spells "ineffective" as "inneffective"

The word WEDGIE gets cut off in... you-know-who's dialog

Entering the hallway with the bathrooms after defeating the ghosts gives the text noise. I'm guessing it's skipping a part in the script?

The exclamation block in the "Outside of the Rave" room doesn't appear if you reset the game or die. Small thing of course... and a problem I assume was also in the original.

In Debug Cat's dialog, he says "mod for a game that was released 10 years ago". I do appreciate that you kept the original script largely intact, but as this line is already a meta reference, I feel like it could be appropriate to change this to the more accurate number of 20!

During the fake title sequence, I was facing in the left direction. Not sure if that was an oversight in the original, but I figure I ended the battle facing left and there was no <MYD added to make sure it was mimicking the direction the player normally faces on the title screen.

Tommy is still spirit in the credits :awesomeface:
 
Sep 25, 2026 at 12:14 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Join Date: Jan 10, 2014
Location: yes
Posts: 489
Age: 23
Pronouns: he/him
I have some notes/points of feedback. The difficult thing is that I don't know how many of these apply to exclusively this HD version, or if they also apply to the original. I didn't replay the original so I'm just working off my memory:
OP has been updated with version 1.1! I'm pretty sure I was able to address everything you found in-game. The new arrangements were leftovers from the 2018 version, so I decided to leave them in. I was going to do a re-hash of all the original orgs but I decided that some were best left untouched. Originally I had wanted the mod to be widescreen (cause modloader was the new hip thing at the time) which is why some of the maps were scrolling left and right, they were widescreen compatible at one point. I reverted this change cause I feel as though widescreen/16:9 ratio is unnecessary for a mod like this.
...and of course, thank you so much for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed playing Rave Story again after all these years :cool:
 
Back
Top